Keeping Your Site Safer
How was your site made?
WordPress is possibly the most used content management system—a tool used to create, publish, and manage websites. Many organizations use a site built on WordPress because of its ease and affordability. This makes WordPress—and the providers of its private plugins, themes, etc—prime targets for attackers trying to take advantage.
What if criminals attack your site?
A hacked site can result in…
- A criminal taking over your website.
- Malware being installed on your website. This means visitors to your site may be targeted by malware installed there.
- Pop-ups and spam messaging being placed on your site.
How do criminals attack?
When attackers target a website, they usually look for known security holes to exploit. This is easier and a better use of their time than a so-called brute force attack. The holes can be in the software itself or in access privileges. Developers often code patches for known security holes, but these patches must be applied via updates to do any good. If a cybercriminal finds a username and password combination that allow them access to your site, they can make changes (like installing malware) without having to find a flaw in the code.
Making your site more secure
- Limit access to your website’s control panel. Use great passwords and enable multifactor authentication.
- Update and patch both WordPress and any associated software you use. Compromised websites often start with a known security hole that hasn’t been patched.
- Remove software like plugins and themes you are not currently using in your site. Fewer pieces equate to fewer vulnerabilities.
- Back up your website regularly. If the worst happens, you will have a functioning copy of all your work.
- Implement a plugin-based website firewall. This will help filter out many attacks.
Can Frontline help?
Absolutely. Website security can be a complicated process. Frontline Technology can provide you peace of mind (and hours saved) with WordPress Management & Hosting services. Schedule a free call with one of our team members to find out more.
ABOUT FRONTLINE TECHNOLOGY LLC
Frontline Technology is one of the only ministry-focused IT companies that is led by pastors and ministry leaders. With over 20 years' experience serving organizations of all sizes, Frontline understands the unique needs, budgets, and technology challenges of nonprofits.
Technology is often perceived as complicated and expensive. Many nonprofits struggle to implement the technology solutions and security needed to drive their mission forward. Frontline Technology helps nonprofits overcome their technology challenges so they can stay focused on their mission.
For nonprofits of every type and size: We Keep IT Simple
Frontline Technology is one of the only ministry-focused IT companies that is led by pastors and ministry leaders.